[rt-users] Confused about --transaction flag for rt-crontool

Russell Jones russell at jonesmail.me
Wed Jul 1 12:55:25 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I am working on the proper syntax for using rt-crontool to send
"reminder" emails to a requestor when a ticket's LastUpdated status is
14 days old. I've worked out the syntax but am having difficulty
understanding how the --transaction flag comes into play. I have read
the automating RT documents already.

If I don't use --transaction, I get an error about the Ticket->Id field
in my template. If I do use --transaction the email sends out fine. But,
if I use --transaction first it will skip over sending an email to the
Requestor with the following message:

  not sending to <email>, creator of the transaction, due to NotifyActor
setting

This leads me to believe that if a ticket gets sent in then just idles
with nothing being done on it, the ticket creation transaction itself
will be both the first and last transaction on the ticket, so the
requestor will never get the "nag" email I am trying to send to them
regardless of if I use --transaction first or --transaction last.

The syntax I am using for rt-crontool is:

    ./rt-crontool --verbose --search RT::Search::FromSQL --search-arg
    "Id = '33'" --action RT::Action::Notify --action-arg All --template
    'Idle Reminder' --transaction first

My nag email template I am using for testing is:

    Subject: AutoReply: {$Ticket->Subject}

    This is an idle reminder for ticket {$Ticket->id}

So, my questions are:

1) What is the proper way of sending a nag email if this is not the
right way?
2) If this is the right way, how can I ensure the nag email will get
sent to the requestor regardless of the NotifyActor setting?