[rt-users] Needing some advice on migration/upgrade plans

Aaron Hockett ahockett at lsnetworks.net
Thu Jul 30 04:23:28 EDT 2015

Hello all,

I have some upcoming work that in light of lack of specific documentation to my questions, I figured I would ask the list.

First and foremost, I have a server migration planned in the next few weeks where we've moving off an old metal box to a VM.  We're currently running RT ver. 4.0.9

Moving from CentOS 4.3 w/
MySQL 5.0.x
Apache 2.0.x

CentOS 6.6
MariaDB 5.5
Apache 2.2.15

Both 64 bit.

In all the reading the areas of which I need to migrate are:
MySQL Database
/opt/rt4/

I'm now the 2nd or 3rd gen DevOPs person to touch this server so I can't wait for things to go sideways... yeah.  That said, I've tried to keep up on the mailing lists but have there been any horror stories going from MySQL to MariaDB?  The first part of the migration is simply a 1-to-1 move where I am not upgrading the database nor the version.  This will make sure everything is migrated properly and all the kinks (if any) are worked out prior to moving up to the latest release 4.2.11.  As for moving them, I've already got a script that provides me a MySQL dump and a TAR of the web directories so I should be set with that.

The second part of my question;  To help better maintain the site, I am wanting a development box to test new features and add-ons once we get upgraded.  One of the things that I'm running into is the naming.  Right now our RT server is listed as: "rt.domain.com" and my development box I want to have "devrt.domain.com"  Is there / does anyone have a SED script to go in and change all the variables of "rt.domain.com" to "devrt.domain.com"?  If not, is there an easier way to have a version of your production database on another box and easily deal with a different DNS name for the server?

Thank you for your time.
=Aaron

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D0CA66.570EB140]
Aaron Hockett| Network Operations
NOC: (866) 366-2638 Opt 1, Opt 1 | Fax (503) 227-8585
LS Networks | 921 SW Washington Street | Suite 370 | Portland, OR 97205
ahockett at lsnetworks.net<mailto:ahockett at lsnetworks.net> | www.lsnetworks.net<http://www.lsnetworks.net/>