[rt-users] RT saves data in quoted-printable, why???

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Thu Mar 5 12:50:57 EST 2015

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-codec/apidocs/org/apache/commons/codec/net/QuotedPrintableCodec.html

in the releasen note for RT-4.2.2 [https://www.bestpractical.com/release-notes/rt/4.2.2]

* Ensure that all data containing non-ASCII is quoted-printable encoded
   for PostgreSQL, instead of merely all data not claiming to be
   "text/plain"

Why is this? It seems it is doing more harm than good -- it makes it harder to use indexes and makes it harder to use it from the tables directly? PostgreSQL is very capable of storing any kind of character set? We use UTF-8 for everything, this fix breaks a lot of things for us.

I think this was a bad design decision, but maybe I can't see the entire picture?

Best regards,
Palle