[rt-users] spawn-fcgi crashing, is uWSGI an option?

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Sat May 30 19:49:00 EDT 2015

I have a demo of RT set up for my company.

During testing, we found the spawn-fcgi process is slow and crashes often.

If more than a few users are on the site, and/or more than few
messages coming in through rt-mailgate, the site loads extremely slow.
We increased the number of child processes for spawn-fcgi, but it's
doesn't seem adequate to handle the load.

We can regularly make spawn-fcgi die by simply hitting escape while a
page is loading.  Other times it crashes for no apparent reason.

We use uWSGI everywhere for python projects we host, and I tried to
see if I could get RT working under that.  I failed miserably because
I don't know that much about PSGI, FCGI, etc...and their relationship
to the webserver.  I know Nginx can speak the uwsgi protocol to talk
to uWSGI, but uWSGI seems to bomb on trying to serve RT.

I tried the following config to no avail:

[uwsgi]
plugins = psgi
socket = 127.0.0.1:9001
psgi = /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server.fcgi
fastcgi-socket = true
processes = 2
master = true
stats = 127.0.0.1:1717
chdir = /opt/rt4
uid = uitrt
gid = uitrt

Has anyone else been able to run it using uWSGI?

Are there other options for keeping the site running under nginx?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice.

-A