[rt-users] RT and Disaster Recovery - problem

Guadagnino Cristiano guadagnino.cristiano at creval.it
Wed Sep 2 11:11:52 EDT 2015

Hi all,
are you using some kind of DR solution with RT?

Our RT servers are virtualized on VMware. As a DR solution, we keep
virtual machines on our second datacenter in sync with the first one.
VMs on the second data center are switched off.

If we have problems on the first data center, we power on the VMs on the
second and then change our DNS to point to the new VMs.
The only difference on the mirrored VMs is that thay have different IPs.

So, right after powering them up, we have to connect and change the
configuration of those VMs to use the new IPs (at least in those cases
where we cannot use DNS aliases).

This is acceptable for us, because RT is not such a critical asset that
we cannot afford a downtime of a few minutes.

However, the problem is that - after reconfiguring the VMs - RT becomes
slow as a snail (tens of seconds for each page change/refresh).

I lost a couple of days building an exact copy of our production VMs and
experimenting with varying IPs and reconfiguring, and I am not able to
overcome the problem, nor understand where it comes from.

Has anybody ever heard of such a problem?

T.I.A.
Cris