[rt-users] Centos 7 - Forbidden, You don't have permission to access /rt4 on this server

Todd Wade waveright at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:25:38 EDT 2016

Hello,

@Martin provided some advice that needs followed, but here is some
additional info as well:

On 4/21/16 6:28 AM, Yanni wrote:
> Under the apache section it talks about "mod_fastcgi" and
> "mod_fcgid".
>
> Do I have these modules?

As you are on CentOS 7, you can use yum to find out. This example shows
I have mod_fcgid installed:

yum list installed | grep fcgi
mod_fcgid.x86_64     2.3.9-4.el7     @base

> What I add to "httpd.conf" depends on which one of these modules I
> have or use?

Correct.

> I also borrowed the RT essentials book from our library but the book is
> a bit out-of date and talks about RT3. There are a number of how-to's
> online available but all a bit different to each other. I presume that
> is because they are written by people who know what they are doing so
> they config things they way, they believe is right.

The book is outdated, but the online documentation is up to date:

https://docs.bestpractical.com/rt/4.4.0/web_deployment.html

For reference here is the documentation index:

https://docs.bestpractical.com/rt/4.4.0/index.html

> Whenever I try to view RT I get this error: Forbidden, You don't have
> permission to access /rt4 on this server. In a desperate attempt to
> solve this permissions issue I did: "chown apache:apache -R /opt/rt4"
> but with no luck.

This attempted solution may have weakened security a bit, you don't want
the application files writable by the webserver user. You may want to
back up and delete /opt/rt4 and rerun 'make install' in your RT source
directory.

And then again @Martin provided some advice that needs followed, but
some additional advice is you're using pre-apache 2.4 access directives:

>       <Location />
>       Order allow,deny
>       Allow from all
>       </Location>

This is the reason for the specific error you are getting. Note in the
deployment documentation:

             <IfVersion >= 2.4> # For Apache 2.4
                 Require all granted
             </IfVersion>
             <IfVersion < 2.4>  # For Apache 2.2
                 Order allow,deny
                 Allow from all
             </IfVersion>

Since you are on an apache > 2.4, you want to use the 'Require all
granted' directive.

Regards,