[rt-users] RT CLI login

Dustin Graves dustin at bestpractical.com
Fri Apr 29 14:02:09 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,

There are two ways to authenticate for the RT CLI.

The first is environment variables RTUSER and RTPASSWD

The second is an RT Config file .rtrc in your user’s home directory:
server http://your.rt4.installation <http://your.rt4.installation/>
user your.rtusername
passwd your rt password

I would verify that you can login to RT with your credentials before using the CLI if you have doubts as to their validity. You can use any user with the CLI, but you will be limited by their permissions. Generally it is recommended to make a user specifically for use with the CLI so you can grant only the permissions that you need.

You can take a look at the wiki here for more information: http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/CLI <http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/CLI>

Thank you,
Dustin