[rt-users] Using DBI for DB2 connection in scripts?

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Tue Dec 27 16:54:59 EST 2016

Hello list,
I've just gotten a DSN to our iSeries working on the same server that hosts
RT. Next, I'll be making a script to auto-set a custom field with a value
pulled from that iSeries based on another field. This way, for instance,
you can make a ticket with the order number in a CF, and the customer rep
gets added to the ticket. The rep comes from the iSeries.

What I'm wondering is whether the DBI module in RT can already do this? Can
I give it a DSN and some SQL, then get the results? Or do I need to install
a separate database Perl module and use that? I know next to nothing about
Perl, let alone how to use it to talk to databases, so this may be a stupid
question. Still, I thought it worth asking; if the DB module that RT
already uses can do this, there's no need to install another one. Side
note: if anyone has ever dealt with DB2 from Perl in RT before, any other
suggestions or warnings you can offer will be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall at autodist.com