[rt-users] Migrating RT3.8 database to RT4.2

Jim Brandt jbrandt at bestpractical.com
Wed Feb 10 10:59:19 EST 2016

Hi Lee,

The typical upgrade path is to take a backup of your database (I think
that's what Matt was pointing out), restore it on the new machine, then
follow the steps in 6b in the README:

https://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/README.html

(It's good to read the whole README, but those are the key bits that are
different for upgrading an existing instance.)

The upgrade scripts will then upgrade your database to be compatible
with the new version of RT.

The serializer and importer tools are typically used in special cases
where a DB upgrade won't work, like moving from one brand of DB to
another or doing other things like joining two RT's together.

Jim