[rt-users] Consulting back-office or other departments without notifying requestor

Ram ram0502 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:10:25 EST 2016

> Hello group,
>
> We're using RT for several years now and upgraded recently to RT 4.4
> A lot of our tickets involve requests where the owner of the ticket needs
> to make some inquiries or put other departments at work.
> e.g. As a response to a ticket a new user account has to be created and
> some actions like delivering devices (smartphone, laptop) or giving access
> to applications has to be done by other departments.
>
> We could manually send out some answers or replies with the involved
> departments  in CC:
> But, since these are not comments,  by default the requestor gets all the
> correspondence as well, e.g. when the department answers that the
> smartphone is ready to be picked up.
> This is not what we want.
>
> The situation above can be compared with the queue "Investigations" in
> RTIR where new tickets are created, linked to the original one, but without
> notifying the requestor(s)
> Installing RTIR seems like overkill, since this has little or nothing to
> do with incidents.
>
> What is the best practice to create a working solution for this problem?
> Has anyone done this before? Are there some ready-made contributions that
> I can use?
> My knowledge of Perl is rather limited, so I could create a scrip but this
> should mainly be based on copy-pasting and little adjustments of examples.
>
> Much obliged,
> Lieven

Three options i can think of:
1 "comment" and and CC the other group; replies will also be comments and
therefor not sent nor seen by the requestor. This depends on you having a
-comment@ email address defined separately from the generic queue email
address.
2 Add the other group as Ticket AdminCC and then comment. This will result
in them seeing all the Ticket traffic which you may not want (or only
sometimes want).
3 Link tickets

I use all three of these depending on the situation
cheers