[rt-users] Lifecycle statuses

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Mon Jan 11 12:42:05 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Max McGrath <mmcgrath at carthage.edu> wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I've been tasked with modifying the statuses we use in RT (we are running
> RT 4.2.12).
>
> I found the lifecycles document, but have a question regarding statuses.
> I'm being asked to make statuses such as "Pending User", "Pending Vendor",
> "Under Consideration", etc...
>
> Is it wise to have a multi-word status.  In all the documents it appears
> that every status is a single word (i.e., pending, considering,
> processing).  Would it be wise to stick with a single word for my statuses?

Use either single word or multi-word.

Benefits of single word:

1. Quick search is slick.
Find all of my tickets with status 'vendor' or 'new'

mzagrabe vendor new

2. Quicker to type things and you don't have to worry about people thinking
about spaces.

Benefits of multi-word:

The status will be (significantly?) more expressive and descriptive.

You will need to weigh those pros and cons against each other.

-m