[rt-users] Making original email a true attachment in AdminCC notifications

Vegard Vesterheim vegard.vesterheim at uninett.no
Wed Mar 9 03:00:00 EST 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:22:56 -0400 Kevin Falcone <falcone at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 01:26:38PM -0400, Paul Fincher wrote:
>>        I have been looking into changing the notification emails that are delivered to AdminCcs
>>    when a ticket is created to have the original email from the requestor be a true
>>    message/rfc822 attachment instead of the original content inlined in the AdminCc email.  It
>>    doesn't appear you can do this directly in the template but instead It appears it requires a
>>    change to the action code.  Has anyone done anything like this? Am I barking up the wrong
>>    tree? I am using RT 3.8.9.
>
> You'd need to steal from some of the forwarding code and write a custom
> action to make it message/rfc822. Doing it inline in the template
> doesn't work.

I searched the RT-users archive for the wording "original email" and
found this old thread.

We would like to do something similar now: attach the original email (in
its entirety, attachments and all) to an outgoing message in
RT. Creating a 'message/rfc822' attachments seems like a natural choice.

When a ticket changes queue, we notify the new adminCCs via a
scrip/template. It would be useful to have the original mail attached to
this outgoing message. We would like to do the same when a ticket
changes owner. The rationale for doing this, is to be able to respond to
the ticket directly via email, without having to visit the RT web-gui.

We have done something similar in another context earlier. We archive
all emails into individual files (via procmail) *before* being piped
into RT. Using the Message-ID as identifiers, we can retrieve the exact
copy of the original email message. We use this as a simple way to
"forward" the original email to external parties from our RT
installation. We implemented this as a "dummy queue" with a
corresponding scrip. For tickets moved into this queue, we simply
retrieve the original email from the archive (grep'ing for the
message-id), and resend it to the external party.

This same solution can be used in our new use-case, but I was wondering
if this could be accomplished inside RT, and if so, if somebody else has
done this before.

--
- Vegard V -