[rt-users] Unique custom fields for assets

Kyle Dippery kyle.dippery at uky.edu
Tue Mar 15 17:14:19 EDT 2016

Here 'tis.

My addition to the Create {} subroutine is lines 130-138.  The check for
uniqueness and auto-choosing the next highest number happen in
additional subroutines beginning at line 230.

We call the relevant field "COE Number" (sometimes "CoE Number", the
case seems not to matter); change that wherever I have it to whatever
you call your field.

Lines 133 and 137 are where I needed to know that the custom field was
#1 ('CustomField-1').  There are two SELECT queries, one (line 322)
where I searched for the field by name and one (line 244) where I
searched for it by number.  Probably I should have done both of those
the same way, for clean code purposes.  Probably searching by name would
be the way to go, for even cleaner code purposes.

We assume that we'll be adding (whenever I get this live) existing
assets to a clean database, so we accept input for the COE Number. I do
some basic testing, to make sure that if there is input, it is a number
and not, say, an SQL command.  I don't do any sort of sanity checking on
the given number, except to see if it's already in use; someone could,
for instance, input "1000000" instead of "1000" and kick our asset
numbers up a few orders of magnitude. Probably with some additional work
the getNextNumber subroutine could look for such gaps and fill them in,
but I don't think I'll be getting around to that extra work anytime soon.

I believe there are some rigorous tests that can be used on RT
extensions; I have not done anything of that sort with this code. I've
only played with it on a couple of test systems (both RT 4.2), but it so
far does what I want it to.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer, hopefully with something
better than "It made sense at the time".

If any accomplished programmers would like to shred it and tell me
everything I could do better, I'd appreciate the education.

Share and enjoy,
Kyle