[rt-users] Error when initializing database with external auth enabled

Bart Bunting bart.bunting at ursys.com.au
Tue May 24 20:26:47 EDT 2016

Hi there,

I may be just missing something but this is failing miserably for me and
I am not sure what the correct way to fix it is:

Running rt 4.4.1 rc1 as of today.

The situation is I have external authentication working fine using both
RT::Authen::ExternalAuth and RT::LDAPImport.

I use puppet to provision the machine.

When I have the external authentication configuration enabled in
RT_SiteConfig.pm the
initial database import breaks.  I think this is because when it trys to
add the "root" user it attempts to canonicalize the name from ldap which
fails.

Here is an example of the run:

          make initialize-database
/usr/bin/perl -I/opt/rt4/local/lib -I/opt/rt4/lib sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to connect to your  mysql instance on localhost (port '') as root
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no database
password, just press return.

Password:
Working with:
Type:	mysql
Host:	localhost
Port:
Name:	rt4
User:	rt
DBA:	root
Now creating a mysql database rt4 for RT.
Done.
Now populating database schema.
Done.
Now inserting database ACLs.
Done.
Now inserting RT core system objects.
[15076] [Wed May 25 00:15:29 2016] [critical]: Undefined subroutine &RT::Authen::ExternalAuth::LDAP::CanonicalizeUserInfo called at /opt/rt_source/sbin/../lib/RT/User.pm line 787. (/opt/rt_source/sbin/../lib/RT.pm:390)
Undefined subroutine &RT::Authen::ExternalAuth::LDAP::CanonicalizeUserInfo called at /opt/rt_source/sbin/../lib/RT/User.pm line 787.
Makefile:386: recipe for target 'initialize-database' failed
make: *** [initialize-database] Error 2
root at rt-dev:/opt/rt_source#

I can work around this by having puppet install one version of RT_SiteConfig.pm without
external authentication configured, run the database import and then
replace it with a version with external auth enabled.

This works, I've tested it.

It just feels terribly ugly and wrong.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong here or is this a genuine
issue?

Kind regards
Bart
--