[rt-users] RT 4.4.1 - ExternalAuth intermittently failing

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Tue Nov 22 16:40:11 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 04:13:46PM -0500, Mike Johnson wrote:
> We just went live with RT 4.4.1 and it seems that LDAP authentication is
> failing.
>
> It has now died 2 days in a row, at approximately the same time.
>
> The RT log is showing the following error:
> 2819] [Mon Nov 21 21:10:28 2016] [critical]:
> RT::Authen::ExternalAuth::LDAP::_GetBoundLdapObj Can't bind:
> LDAP_INVALID_CREDENTIALS 49
> (/opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth/LDAP.pm:678)
>
> This seems like a generic LDAP error, and it's not pointing us to a
> specific issue.
>
> The user that we are binding with is a user that was in-use on our RT 3.8.X
> environment that hadn't had an issue in years (3?).
>
> Restarting apache resolves the immediate issue, but clearly there is
> something else going on that we should be able to fix permanently. Anyone
> have any ideas on where to look?
>
> This didn't come up in our testing, but I don't believe we had the volume
> of credential testing that we do in prod.
>
> Any help would be great!
>
> P.S. The LDAP server is a Microsoft Active Directory server. This same
> server was being used for ExternalAuth extension in 3.8.
>
> Mike.

Hi Mike,

You probably will need to check your AD logs as well. We have seen issues
with AD authentication when an account is locked out by a bad password
login attempt. Since it is about the same time of day, maybe something
else is trying to login with those credentials and causing it to lock.

Regards,
Ken