[rt-users] Using rt4-fcgi with RT on Debian?

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Fri Sep 2 15:15:40 EDT 2016

Hi all,
I thought I'd start a new thread for this, since the question got asked in
a thread that didn't specifically relate to FCGI. I was told by one list
member to install the rt4-fcgi package to help serve RT on Debian through
Nginx. I've done so, but am not sure how to get it working or what
commands, if any, are available.

I have the 'rt' site in Nginx set to use 127.0.0.1:8485, and that works
initially if I use spawn-fcgi. However, I then run into the problem I had
last week, where Firefox says the page isn't redirecting properly. The
message is:

The page isn’t redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this
address in a way that will never complete.

The initial page works correctly, but I get the above as soon as I log in.
If I run the useful command I just found, tail -f /var/log/messages, I see
only come configuration problems from an hour before when I most recently
tried to access the site. The Nginx error log for RT is empty, and the
access log shows only the failed attempts I made earlier in the day.

I have a feeling that my changes to the name, location, and other settings
just haven't taken effect yet. In trying to restart the server to get these
configuration changes to register, though, I run into the small problem
that I have no idea how to restart it. I'm still using spawn-fcgi because
it's the only way I know to get the site working; how would I use rt4-fcgi
instead? Once I have it running, how would I restart it? Change the port?
If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate them. I know all this stuff must
seem painfully obvious and simple to most everyone, but documentation on
rt4-fcgi is nowhere to be found, so I'm not sure where else to ask.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall at autodist.com