[rt-users] Ading users to queues?

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 4 03:48:50 EDT 2016

On 4-9-2016 1:34, Alex Hall wrote:
> Hello list,
> I'm in the process of setting up RT for testing in the company I work
> for. I get groups and users now, and I know what queues are for. What
> I can't find is how to add users to queues. Memberships for a user
> only includes groups.
>
> As I understand it, a queue is a logical grouping of tickets by topic.
> We might have an IT queue, a customer service queue, a graphics design
> queue, and so on. That way, users can open tickets for a given queue,
> and those in that queue would be notified and could act on the ticket.
> That's where I'm stuck, though: how do I get users to be part of
> queues, so they get ticket notifications and access? Or, like making
> users admins, am I thinking about this the wrong way round? Thanks!
You can add groups on a queue level of global. On a queue level you can
only add a subset of rights of that of a global group but the way you
add groups is the same.
Goto Admin/Queues and select a queue, goto the group rights tab and when
the page with rights appear you can ADD GROUP on the bottom left. Start
typing a new name to add a ne group and assign right to that group from
the 3 tabs on the left. Put some users into that group and they should
only be able to do what has been assign to that queue.
Watch out for rights you add globally to predefined groups. If you add
SuperUser to Everyone you can't revoke that right on a lower level!.
The way I test is either by using the extension BecomeUser or to have
two browsers open, one with the admin interface and one with a user in
the groups I'm doing admin on. Refreshing the page in the latter is
enough to see the effect of rights added or removed in the admin one.

You can use the groups to make them watchers on a queue and then they
will receive email. What probably will work is to have two sets of
groups, one for notifications and one for access, like IT_Admin_Access
vs IT_Admin_Notif. I have gone for the single group variant.
I have partitioned access/notification mostly into 3 parts, _Admin,
_User, _Extern, so for a queue of IT I have 3 groups:

  * IT_Admin contains the people who can do almost anything in this
    queue, add/remove people, rights, except system rights etc
  * IT_User contains the people doing the actual work on tickets, so
    they can change their on dashboards/searches/profile etc
  * IT_Extern contains the few people outside of our org that need
    access to the tickets their org has made and where SelfService isn't
    enough, they see for example no comments, no tickets in other
    queues, can't change much

You can add rights to these 3 groups on 3 different levels: Global,
Queue and Group level then add then to the queue under Group Rights and
under Watchers where I add the _Admin and _User as AdminCC's and the
_Extern as CC roles so that the external orgs don't see our internal
(Comment) communication.

Hope this clears things up, a little. If not let us know and we'll try
to help.

Joop