[rt-users] Best setup for using RT with Gmail?

Chris McClement chrisis at bosberaad.com
Sun Sep 4 18:09:53 EDT 2016

You don't need to setup your own mail server, you can just use Gmail. There
are two components to it:

- sending mail via gmail from RT
- fetching mail from gmail and inserting it into RT queues

For sending mail via gmail from RT, start here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/204216/how-to-make-request-tracker-use-an-external-smtp-mail-server.
The answer to that thread links to how-tos.

For fetching mail and inserting it into RT queues, you first need to
install either fetchmail or getmail (I use getmail), configure it to
collect mail from the gmail inbox allocated to the queue, and then hand off
mail it collects to rt-mailgate. rt-mailgate's arguments direct mail to the
relevant queues.