[rt-users] Best setup for using RT with Gmail?

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Mon Sep 5 13:52:08 EDT 2016

Thanks for the answers. I'm happy, and a bit surprised, to say that I have
my test RT instance sending out emails on ticket creation/activity using
postfix. It's not a GUI like OSTicket is, but this took far less time to
get working. Indeed, the more I use RT, the happier I am that I switched to
it.

Anyway, I have a fetchmail question. I have to make the configuration file
for fetchmail, which I've done successfully. Testing with that file,
fetchmail works. I got the file syntax/setup from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GmailPostfixFetchmail

However, the RT fetchmailrc file the wiki says to use looks very, very
different:
https://rt-wiki.bestpractical.com/wiki/Fetchmail

For one thing, there's no interval, so how does fetchmail know to poll
every few minutes? Do I call fetchmail /path/to/myfetchmailrc as a cron job?

Second, there seems to be a lot of repetition. For instance, is there any
way to store my RT URL and domain as variables, so I could just do
username someAddress@$domain url $myURL
and so on? This isn't a big deal, but the programmer in me cringes at the
re-use of what should be a static string. Thanks in advance. Oh, if there
are any reasons to use getmail instead, please let me know. I just found
more resources that use fetchmail, and fetchmail doesn't need to be
compiled as getmail seems to, so fetchmail won. I'm not at all opposed to
switching if I should, though.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department