[rt-users] Assigning rights to groups for queues

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Tue Sep 6 14:28:07 EDT 2016

Hi all,
Sorry for all the questions. Now that the hard part is out of the way, I'm
configuring our test RT instance and keep running into little things I
don't get. I'm on RT 4.2.8, so some of the below could be bugs that have
been fixed in newer versions.

I have a Graphics queue, and two groups--graphics_staff and
graphics_admins--as some on this list have suggested. I go to the Graphics
queue, select group rights, type graphics_admins into the group field, and
choose that group. Now I'm editing what rights members of the
graphics_admins group have within the graphics queue, right?

I check the first box in the list and hit the 'save' button. Now, the first
point of confusion: the box remains checked, but the group I'd selected is
no longer displayed. What happened: did the group get assigned that right,
or did everyone? With no group it looks like the checked box applies to
everyone, but that doesn't make sense as I was just editing the rights of a
single group.

Before that test, I'd selected a group and granted all the standard rights,
then hit 'save'. Without thinking, I selected the 'staff' tab and granted
most rights there as well, then saved again. It was only after that second
save that I realized I hadn't selected the group again. Did I grant the
second batch of rights to everyone, or did my group selection persist even
though it wasn't shown? I couldn't tell, because of my third question:
whether I selected the group or not, no checkboxes were checked. Do these
boxes not reflect the current state of their respective rights after you
save? How do I view what group has which rights? How do I de-select a group
and go back to 'everyone', if group selection disappears but silently
persists?

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department