[rt-users] Best way to set up test RT instance?

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Wed Sep 21 14:19:31 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 02:12:00PM -0400, Alex Hall wrote:
> Do you run from source? If not, how did you direct RT to use alternative
> paths during the install rather than using all the same ones and thus
> failing to install or overriding existing files?
>
> Were I to attempt a source install again, could I safely do so alongside
> the current 4.2.8 instance on the server? Obviously I'd have to make a
> different database, and couldn't have both instances using the same email
> addresses for sending/receiving, but what else would I have to consider?

Hi Alex,

Yes we do install from source and use /opt/rt3813, /opt/rt4210, /opt/rt441
as the install point based on the source. For the test instances we typically
configure their Email to deliver to a single file and we can check what was
sent within the RT history. Delivery could be controlled in many diffferent
ways based on the Email system delivery process.

Regards,
Ken