[rt-users] Enabling extensions in RT4.2.8?

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 23 14:49:57 EDT 2016

Hi Alex,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Alex Hall <ahall at autodist.com> wrote:
> Sorry for not replying in-line. I'd like to, but Google seems to have broken
> something in their accessibility, and I can't navigate the quoted text in my
> reply. The joys of using a screen reader.

It's okay. :)

> To your questions: I ran strace, and I have a 1.5mb file of output. I don't
> pretend to understand any of it, but I was scanning backwards from the
> bottom, and I may have found the problem.
>
> 12875 stat("/var/cache/request-tracker4/mason_data/obj",
> {st_mode=S_IFDIR|S_ISGID|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
> 12875
> stat("/var/cache/request-tracker4/mason_data/obj/.__obj_create_marker",
> 0x1bf8238) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> 12875
> open("/var/cache/request-tracker4/mason_data/obj/.__obj_create_marker",
> O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0666) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>
> When i cleared my mason cache, I deleted the obj folder as directed. It
> looks like this process can't re-create the necessary structure inside the
> mason_data directory.

Hmmm. Okay. It looks like my install of RT recreates the obj directory
- sorry for the assumptive advice.

Here is a better command for clearing your mason cache, but leaving
the obj directory:

% sudo find /var/cache/request-tracker4/mason_data/obj -mindepth 1 -delete

 I've made www-data the owner, but as I'm invoking this
> command as root, perhaps I need to do something different? I've also given
> /var/cache/request-tracker4/mason_data 777 permissions recursively, and that
> did the trick! What permissions should I set, though, to be sure it's as
> secure as it needs to be?

On my installs:

www-data:www-data and 0755

You should only need to set that for the "obj" directory as the RT
process will build the rest of hierarchy.

 Oh, I should say, the FCGI command I use is:

> spawn-fcgi -u www-data -g www-data -a 127.0.0.1 -p 9876
> /usr/share/request-tracker4/libexec/rt-server.fcgi
>
> www-data is the same user used in Nginx, and I gather they have to match.
>
> Anyway, back to the extension. Now that RT is running, I once again enabled
> the plugin and updated my settings (yes, my main configuration file updates
> as it should). But when I ran my FCGI command, I once again got the exit
> code 255 message. I deleted sason_data/obj again, but that didn't help. I
> reset the permissions, but that, too, did nothing. There's something odd
> happening with the extension enabled that doesn't seem to happen with it
> disabled. I'm not sure what the deal is, though. Has anyone ever seen this
> happen with an extension?

It almost sounds like your RT_SiteConfig.pm has invalid perl syntax.

Run:

perl -c /etc/request-tracker4/RT_SiteConfig.pm

Both before and after enabling and disabling your extension and
running the update-rt-siteconfig.

-m