[Rtir] Some questions, some comments...

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Oct 23 12:25:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:19:41AM +0200, Jorn Hass wrote:
> RTIR is installed as a "local" add-on. Why was this done, and is there
> any plans to add it into the actual RT tree? The problem with the local
> tree is that I end up having to edit the installed files, rather than
> the local copies of it. Not a train-smash, just a thought...

That's historical and will be fixed.

> In order to try and streamline this, I am playing with the old
> Stock-Answers. Yes, I know everybody says that RTFM does the job, but I
> disagree with that. Our website is not visible from outside, so linking
> RTFM articles with a URL to it, is useless, as they cannot see it.
> Unless my RTFM doesn't work the way it's supposed to...

Er, your RTFM isn't doing what it's supposed to. One of the key features
of RTFM is that it allows you to include the content of articles into
ticket replies. It's a functional superset of the old stockanswers
functionality.

> I would therefore possibly like to run a local whois server, with
> contact details for our specific needs.
> Has anyone got any experience in setting up a whois server with local
> content, and if so, where do I start looking for source and docs etc.?

We have customers doing just this. IIRC, they're using the RIPE whois
server.