[Shipwright] Shipwright perl arch bad assumption

Mikko Lipasti mikko.lipasti at polarcom.fi
Thu Dec 3 03:34:42 EST 2009

Hello,

Here's what I'm facing:

Setup:
 * Ubuntu 9.04 desktop
 * stock perl v5.10.0 built for i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
 * Shipwright, version 2.4.3

Goal:
 * vessel packaged as RPM for use under RHEL5.3
 * including perl v5.8.9 built for i686-linux

Problem:
 * in vessel building stage, build aborts with:

./bin/shipwright-builder --verbose --skip-test
Building cpan-Archive-Tar
/tmp/vessel_-U4E9bF/bin/perl: symbol lookup
error: /tmp/vessel_-U4E9bF/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so: undefined symbol:
Perl_Gthr_key_ptr

Possible cause:
shipwright-builder makes a (bad) assumption about architecture based on
the architecture of the stock perl (which is running the script). This
is evident at least in ./bin/shipwright-builder environment setup around
line 316 and probably elsewhere as well.

How can I work around this? Can I coerce shipwright not to make any
assumptions about the perl interpreter until after the vessel perl has
been built? And then there need no longer be any assumptions, as things
can readily be checked.

--
Mikko Lipasti / Entrepreneur / Polarcom Consulting Ltd
+358 (40) 559 0988   FI09672575    http://polarcom.fi/