[svk-devel] File::Temp 0.16 versus 0.17

jpeacock at rowman.com jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Dec 21 21:30:40 EST 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:00:57 -0800, "Mark Grimes" <mark at stateful.net> wrote:
> In other words, Perl 5.8.8 has File::Temp 0.16, but the require in SVK is
> for 0.17.  It doesn't matter if I have File::Temp 0.17 in site_perl (or
> vendor_perl as per @INC for macports) before Perl attempts to go out to
> CPAN to fetch the missing dependency.
>
> This seems to be a pretty big weakness in Perl packaging if you have to
> "destroy" your perl-core in order to get a passing dependency check.
> Searching the net for a solution was to no avail.

This is ActiveState's fault, because they package the modules that /their/ tools rely on in "perl" which is always checked before "site".  AFAIK, the only way to deal with this is to delete the package out of the perl directories so that the siteperl modules are visible.  I've complained about it before to ActiveState, and they were suprisingly unhelpful.

YMMV

John