[svk-devel] Re: Mercurial (and NOT svk) chosen as Distributed SCM for OpenSolaris... Do we "Know" the reasons for rejection?

F. Javier Jarava jjarava at secuware.com
Wed Sep 20 14:25:27 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:20:35PM -0400 or thereabouts, John Peacock wrote:
> Pazu wrote:
> >Reading the report for other tools, the fact that SVK is written in perl
> >seems
> >to be a drawback for them. One of the requirements is "implementation
> >expertise", and the use of perl was criticized e.g. in the GIT report, and
> >although hg is written in python, the evaluator said "at least it's not
> >perl".
>
> It also seems like they were biased towards something that acted much
> more like TeamWare (the former internal package).  I read through some
> of the SCM list (focusing on the mentions of SVK) and it seemed like
> they were not happy with the speed of SVK (though they didn't bother to
> learn that there are ways to improve that performance) and the number of
> dependencies involved.
>
> John

My own line of thinking, having done some "study" of SCM tools prior to
settling on SVK (I was a happy user of BitKeeper until they changed the
terms), is that SVK is not "distributed enough".

What I mean (admintting that I'm not too proficient in SVK yet; please
correct me if I'm wrong) is that SVK is great for mirroring a central
repo. and allowing offline work, and/or for havin an "unified" central
repo that "pulls" form/to many different sources... But SVK repos are
not (in my probably uninformed opinion) well suited to being "pulled
from" and "collected" in "star-like" topologies, where I get a few
revisions from your repo, that contain changes to a "base" tree that
was upstream of my own repo, and then the result can be "pulled" from a
third party, etc. (To get a clearer idea of what I'm trying to convey, I
believe the current development process of the Linux Kernel might be a
good representation).

But then, from the answers I've gotten to my question I guess that there
was no contact with the SVK developers about SVK itself, so the results
of the study are largely without help from the community.

I thought that might be the case, and that maybe it would be good for
SVK if  someone "in the proper position" contacted them and asked to be
sent the study, so that we might discuss/address any percieved
shortocomings.

Just my 0,002.

  Javier Jarava

--
Never count your chickens before they rip your lips off