[svk-devel] svk 2 on Win32 newbie question, hopefully not too annoying...

Sun Feb 25 18:39:01 EST 2007

On 2/26/07, Chris Hecker <checker at d6.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've been interested in switching from plain old svn to svk for a
> while (right now I have my svn repository local on my laptop, and I'd
> like to move that to my server, using svk on the laptop, which will be
> really great), and I have been reading this list, and I'm trying to
> figure out how stable svk 2.0.0 is on win32.  I know the list is
> primarily a place where people report bugs and feature requests, so it
> gives a kind of biased impression of the situation, hence this mail
> before I take the plunge...
>
> So, my question is:  If I want to do a fairly vanilla svk use case,
> namely have a svn 1.4.x repository on a server, accessed using an ssh
> tunnel and svnserve, and have a local svk mirror of the svn repository
> so I can work locally with history, and then merge back and forth from
> the server, can I just install the 2.0.0 binary on the SVKWin32 wiki
> page and it will "just work"?
>
> More details:  I have ActivePerl installed...does that package need
> Strawberry Perl, and are there conflicts between the two?  Will it run
> correctly if I have ActivePerl installed already?  If I want to stick
> with ActivePerl (and I have vc++) should I build svk myself using the
> instructions on BuildingFromSourceWithVS2005 (which have various patches
> that need to be applied, and seems a little scary)?
>
> SVK seems totally awesome and exactly what I want, I'm just a little
> worried about the stability on Win32 right now given the stuff I've
> seen, and I'm trying to figure out if that's a reasonable worry or if
> it's all good and I'm just seeing people talking about edge cases.  Of
> all my software, I need to trust the vcs the most, so I'm nervous.  :)
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Chris

Hi Chris!

I cannot give you a thumb up type of answer, but I am using svk since
1.08 and I've been most of the time quite happy with it. I haven't got
really big problems, but indeed there have been some small issues. For
some of them I have found an answer, though for most of them I haven't
-- both the list and the irc being most of the time really quiet :-(
(there is one thing that still makes me wonder: I am constantly seeing
about 60-70 people hanging on the irc, but  I've seen at most 10-12
people talking during the last 6 months or so).

My recommendation would be to start small and see if it helps and if
it works for you. Setting it up is not very time consuming, and at any
time you can just get back to using direct SVN.

hth,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.