[svk-devel] svk push produces non-optimal diffs in patches

Sam Hartman hartmans at mit.edu
Sun Mar 11 20:21:06 EDT 2007

I was a bit startled to find that a patch I expected to be quite small was 175M and so I investigated.

As best I can tell, the following sequence of events will produce a
patch that is about twice the source tree:

svk cp //remote/trunk //local-branch
#hack around for awhile, commit early and often
svk push //local-barnch
svk  delete //local-branch #I'll never need that again
# many months and revisions happen
svk cp //remote/trunk //local-branch #I'm not very creative with my branch names
# make some changes and commit
svk push -P patch_name //local-branch

If I set the smerge base to when //local-branch was last created
rather than 0 then it may produce a smaller patch.  There may be other
factors required to create the situation.  At this point I'm not at
liberty to discuss specific details, although I will be able to do so
later.  Also, I don't have a lot of time to try and reproduce.