[svk-devel] smerge/pull with renames

Jason Dillon jason at planet57.com
Tue Mar 20 20:52:05 EDT 2007

This isn't really complete... but it might be close:

<snip>
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

#
# Tests that smerge handles updates after renames have been made
#

use Test::More tests => 1;
use strict;
use File::Path;
use Cwd;
use SVK::Test;

my ($xd, $svk) = build_test();
our $output;
my ($co_trunk_path, $co_trunk_rpath) = get_copath ('smerge-rename3-
trunk');
my ($co_branch_path, $co_branch_rpath) = get_copath ('smerge-rename3-
branch');
my ($repospath, undef, $repos) = $xd->find_repos ('//', 1);
my $uuid = $repos->fs->get_uuid;

# Setup the trunk
$svk->mkdir ('-m', 'trunk', '//trunk');
$svk->checkout ('//trunk', $co_trunk_path);

# Create some data in trunk
chdir($co_trunk_path);
$svk->mkdir('module');
overwrite_file('module/test.txt', '1');
$svk->ci(-m => "test 1");

# Make a copy
$svk->mkdir ('-m', 'trunk', '//branches');
$svk->cp(-m => 'newbranch', '//trunk', '//branches/newbranch');
$svk->checkout ('//branches/newbranch', $co_branch_path);

# TODO: Verify that newbranch/module/test.txt == '1'

# Rename the module in the branch
chdir($co_branch_path);
$svk->move('module', 'module2');
$svk->commit(-m => "renamed");

# Make a change to trunk
chdir($co_trunk_path);
overwrite_file('module/test.txt', '2');
$svk->ci(-m => "test 2");

# Merge changes w/rename from trunk to branch
$svk->smerge('//trunk', '//branches/newbranch', '--track-rename', '-m')

# Update the branch
chdir($co_branch_path);
$svk->update();

# TODO: Verify that newbranch/module2/text == '2'

# Make another change to trunk
chdir($co_trunk_path);
overwrite_file('module/test.txt', '3');
$svk->ci(-m => "test 3");

# Merge changes w/rename from trunk to branch
$svk->smerge('//trunk', '//branches/newbranch', '--track-rename', '-m')

# Update the branch
chdir($co_branch_path);
$svk->update();

# TODO: Verify that newbranch/module2/text == '3'
</snip>

I've no idea how to hook up text validation of content to the
framework, so I just put in a TODO that states what it should do.

The problem is for all changes to trunk/* which are made after the
first smerge --track-rename.  The first smerge --track-rename appears
to do the right thing after svk up in the branch, but when new
changes are made to the trunk, no combination of smerge (w/and w/o --
track-rename) or svk pull, or svk up will get the new changes from
trunk into the correct files in the branch.  They always end up in
the skip list.

  * * *

BTW... why is --track-rename optional?  IMO this should always be
on... I can't think of a reason why I would want to smerge from one
tree to another, when the target has renamed files or directories
when I would want to not have it merge the contents of the source
files into the new locations of the target files.

Please have a look, let me know if this .t is helpful... if you need
more input I can provide that... as I really want/need to get this
functionality working so I can start on the huge reorganization of
the Geronimo server/trunk tree (with out impacting other developers
while its going on).

If you can help me figure out how to run this .t too and provide some
hints on how to replace the TODO comments with code then I can work
on updating this testcase too.

Thanks a ton... I know you are busy, but I hope you can find some
free cycles to help me out.

Cheers,

--jason