[svk-devel] SVK views clarification

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Thu Mar 22 04:16:41 EDT 2007

First up, congratulations and thanks to Chia-liang Kao and Best
Practical for their work on SVK.

My question is about the SVK views feature.

I'm currently experimenting with layering SVK over my existing
Subversion workflow so as to take advantage of its many cool features
(above all, the excellent branching/merging). One of the problems is
that I make light use of the svn:externals feature and this is not
currently supported by SVK.

I see that this came up in the list archives in January[1] and the
recommendation was to look at SVK's views feature. I've looked at the
output of "svk help view" and it's not entirely clear to me how I
would go about using this as a substitute for externals. Can anyone
provide a quick walkthrough?

I also note that views are not yet recommended for production use[2].
Any idea on when they might be?

Finally, I found one other suggestion for working around the absence
of externals[3]: "SVK doesn't do svn:externals. I worked with this by
mirroring every plugin and Rails, and using SVK copy to put a
particular version into my working copy."

Not really sure that I like that last one because evidently the copy
won't automatically pick up updates, but neither does it rely on a
feature that's still in beta... Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Wincent

[1] http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/svk-devel/2007-January/
000567.html