[svk-devel] Difference between smerge and merge

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Fri Mar 23 17:11:50 EDT 2007

I know that smerge (and push/pull) are smart enough to not re-apply
the same changes when you run them multiple times.

My question is, what about merge (and cmerge if it weren't
deprecated)? If you try re-merging the same changes with merge will
SVK warn you, omit the duplicate merges, or blaze ahead anyway? I
tried to figure this out in a sandbox environment by trying it out
but I'm not really familiar enough with those commands yet to be sure
of the answers.

And relatedly, when smerge is deciding what changes to apply, does it
take into consideration stuff that's been cherry picked with merge
previously, or only what's been done with smerge itself?

And finally, what are the Subversion API changes, exactly, that we're
waiting on in order for cmerge to come out of deprecated status? And
what will the advantages of cmerge be compared with merge?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Wincent