[svk-users] Strange svk:merge 'corruption'...

Brice Figureau brice at daysofwonder.com
Thu Aug 9 07:24:20 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 18:09 +0800, Chia-Liang Kao wrote:
> > After more test on a test repository I couldn't reproduce the missing
> > change on pull my co-worker got yesterday.
> >
> > It seems that the merge-ticket moving backwards issue I'm referring
> > above is harmless: it happens everytime someone pushes to the upstream
> > SVN if he didn't pull, and still svk is able at next pull to remember
> > where was the last merge point.
>
> I do see this occasionally, I believe it's a problem in the svn server
> not declining conflicting property changes if the node was modified
> before change_dir_prop was called.  But I am not sure what the status
> of the problem is.  I might have this filed in the svn bug tracker
> though.

Hum, I don't see why the upstream server would conflict such merge, it
has no way to understand that the changeset "reverts" back some
merge-tickets.
Forgive my complete ignorance on how SVK (or even SVN) is working, but
I'd though that svk would fetch the latest known svk:merge properties,
modifies the merge-ticket it uses and then commit the property change to
the upstream svn server ?

> > So I'm still wondering why my co-worker missed a change when using svk
> > pull.
> >
> > If someone has an idea, beacuse I don't want that to happen again...
>
> do you have more detailed info for your coworker's depot?  how was the
> previous merge or pull done? and which change included the ticket for
> the missing one but didn't bring the content?

Yes, I did see my cross-post svk-devel/svk-users:
http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/svk-devel/2007-August/001032.html

In this post I described exactly what my coworker did (unfortunately I
don't have any svk info at that time since we noticed the issue later).
Hopefully he has a large Konsole buffer so that I could find all the
commands output :-)

Thanks for having a look to this problem.
--
Brice Figureau
Days of Wonder