[svk-users] Two instances of SVK conflicting?

Micah Elliott mde at MicahElliott.com
Thu Nov 22 01:23:36 EST 2007

On 2007-11-21 Ethan Mallove wrote:

> Does SVK support two instances of the svk command checking
> out from the same repository at the same time? E.g.,

That should work fine.  Parallel checkouts should not be a
problem... as long as they are not to the same destination.

> in one shell:
>
>   $ svk co /foo/bar
>
> in another shell:
>
>   $ svk co /foo/bar

This is pathological.  I wouldn't consider it an svk limitation.
The problem is that you've got two processes trying to write to
the same paths at the same time.  If you serialized those two
checkouts you'd see svk report something to the effect of "no
work to do" on the second checkout.  But since in your case both
are midstream, there is a race condition to check existence of
and write the same files.

Why would this situation ever arise in practical usage?

--
                          |V|icah |- lliott
mde at MicahElliott.com            <><             http://MicahElliott.com
PGP: 0x7C07CBF0          ICQ: 369060435      Linux/Ubuntu: 417195/12440
HackerKey: v4sw6YUPCJhw5ln5pr7OPck2ma9u8Lw3m5l6Ui2e7t3b8LDMOen6a3XsMRr5