[svk-users] sparse checkouts

Micah Elliott mde at MicahElliott.com
Wed Nov 28 12:58:05 EST 2007

I'm experimenting with "sparse checkouts" in SVK.  I see in the
book that the idiom is to do a 'revert --recursive' to accomplish
it.  That's pretty counter-intuitive to me.  Any plans to make
'checkout' handle it more cleanly by itself (without the help of
'revert')?

Also, it doesn't quite work.  In my minimal testing, I've so far
found this use case to be broken:

    $ svk co -N //mirror/t1/trunk trunkwc
    $ cd trunkwc
    $ svk revert -R dir1  # Just get dir1, not others
    Reverted dir1/...
    $ svk st  # See status of dir1, but oops: others show as missing
    !  dir2
    !  dir3

SVK should only be concerned with the dirs I explicitly made part
of my sparse WC.

I noticed that SVN (in v1.5) is making some major changes in
this area to fix its -N limitations.  Those new options are
described here:

    http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2007/06/sparse-director.html

Will SVK follow SVN's UI improvements and functionality fix-ups
for sparse WCs?

--
                          |V|icah |- lliott
mde at MicahElliott.com            <><             http://MicahElliott.com
PGP: 0x7C07CBF0          ICQ: 369060435      Linux/Ubuntu: 417195/12440
HackerKey: v4sw6YUPCJhw5ln5pr7OPck2ma9u8Lw3m5l6Ui2e7t3b8LDMOen6a3XsMRr5