[svk-users] SVK still alive?

Marko Käning mk362 at mch.osram.de
Mon Aug 18 12:02:05 EDT 2008

> Part of the trick is that svk is basically a "smart client" for SVN in
> many circumstances. So I wouldn't say that I use svk instead of SVN.
> "It's a tool that makes svn work better for me"
Well, one could say so: "smarter client"...
But it's generating a lot of overhead, since

 * in fact you carry around the whole repository (in form of SVK),

 * locally check it out as SVN (e.g. via TortoiseSVN)

 * and the working copy has its own pristine copies of everything

In case of mercurial you just have the repo which you can be cloned
efficiently via hard-links and that's all. If the data volume has, say,
6GB you end up with a mercurial repo of about 12 GB.

In SVK you mirror at first which makes said 6GB. Then you check out via
SVN locally and get another 12GB on top of that, which makes 18GB...

But I guess one has to make a compromise somewhere... :|

Sniff

I always tend to forget that disk space is cheap... ;)