[svk-users] SVK still alive?

Eric Bowman ebowman at boboco.ie
Mon Aug 18 12:40:00 EDT 2008

Marko Käning wrote:
>> Where did you see that poll? It'd be good for Best Practical to know in
>> the case they want to contact the web site owner.
>>

> Searching for the poll I found also this closed one here:
>
>   http://www.mozdev.org/drupal/category/Blog-Tag/mercurial
>
> which states that SVN is with 77% the most important tool next to CVS.
> Yeah, well, and to be able to work with SVN in a distributed fashion there
> is only SVK and possibly Git nowadays which can also push back changes
> into a central SVN repo... :) There we are. That's why SVK is so
> interesting for me! ;

I never made it too far with SVK, due to this issue I never could solve
(I really should unsubscribe to this list... ;):

http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/svk-users/2007-December/000105.html

I didn't realize that git works with svn repositories now, so I just did
the >svn-git clone< command against the repository I never could get to
work with SVK, and lo & behold, it worked.

A nice post on how to do that here:
http://www.viget.com/extend/effectively-using-git-with-subversion/

I don't mean to troll, because I really /wanted/ SVK to work for me, and
I liked the idea of having that stuff in perl.  But the fact is it never
worked, my plea for help never got a response, and the competition
worked, first try, no hassle (so far, anyhow).

Alas, I'm off to git-land.  Thanks anyhow!

--
Eric Bowman
Boboco Ltd
ebowman at boboco.ie