[svk-users] mirroring question

Jeff Brown jeff at jeffandbetsy.net
Thu Feb 14 10:21:44 EST 2008

On 2/14/08, Ruslan Zakirov <ruz at bestpractical.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Jeff Brown <jeff at jeffandbetsy.net> wrote:
>  > I have been tinkering with SVK as a solution to the problem of storing
>  >  Keynote presentations in SVN (Keynote presentations are really a
>  >  directory structure and Keynote deletes all the .svn directories each
>  >  time you save the presentation).  So far I have used SVK only locally
>  >  and it seems to work well for this.
>  >
>  >  Can I mirror an SVN repo with SVK, check Keynote presentations in
>  >  using SVK and then carry on from there doing updates/commits/etc.
>  >  using SVK?  What I think will happen is anyone can checkout directly
>  >  from the SVN repo using SVN and get what they need, they just won't be
>  >  able to commit changes easily.  Committers would need to be mirroring
>  >  with SVK.
>  >
>  >  Does all that sound right?  I want to confirm that this is going to
>  >  work the way that I think it will.
>  If all commiters are going to use central SVN repo then it's ok to
>  commit with SVN or SVK. There are no problems at all with such setup.
>
>  SVN people are only limited in actions when you make a mirror using
>  SVK and share this mirror with other people, it's really possible, but
>  is not recommended  way to use SVK.

I think the problem with SVN people committing is if they are going to
be committing, presumably they made some change to the Keynote
presentation.  When they saved that change from within Keynote,
Keynote will have deleted all of the .svn directories that are
scattered around their presentation so the SVN commit is going to fail
because the project doesn't look like it is even in SVN.

Am I missing something?

jb

--
Jeff Brown