[svk-users] svk performance issue

Fabien.Bouleau at ses-engineering.com Fabien.Bouleau at ses-engineering.com
Tue Jul 8 05:55:54 EDT 2008

svk-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com wrote on 07/07/2008 18:00:10:

> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:39:32 -0400
> From: Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com>
>
> On Jul 3, 2008, at 6:13 AM, Fabien.Bouleau at ses-engineering.com wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I sometimes experience performance issues with svk when performing
> > "big
> > commits" (around 1700 files). Note that I am using a IBM Thinkpad
> > T43 and
> > it may sometimes take more than 10 minutes.
>

> You haven't told us what version of SVK you're using, what version of
> subversion, what version of Perl and whether you're committing to a
> mirrored path or a local branch directly.

Oops, sorry for that. SVK for Win32 v2.0.2 with subversion 1.4.6. Perl is
the one included in the SVK binary package. I am committing and not
pushing, i.e. to a local branch.

I presume my 5,400 rpms hard disk is a bottleneck but I noticed that
perl.exe may use 95% of the CPU for as long as the commit is being
performed... Do you reckon using another version of perl may be helpful?

> > Far away from me the idea to start a "which language is the best"
> > battle,
> > but I have a technical question: why did you choose perl to write svk?
> >
> I'm not CL, so I can't speak for CL, but for me, Perl is fast,
> flexible, has a fantastic
> global community and repository of user-contributed free libraries.
>
> But yeah, advocacy one way or another is really best reserved for a
> pub or bar ;)

Temptation is high to go into the discussion just for the pleasure to have
one or two pints of Guinness... :o)

Cheers,
Fabien.

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.