[svk-users] Non-existent charset transcoding of SVK not in-line with SVN (fwd)

Marko Kaening mk362 at mch.osram.de
Tue Jun 24 11:21:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am running a linux box serving my repos and but work mostly from windows
clients. That's why I ran into trouble with different charsets on both
sides (UTF-8 and CP1252/CP850).

I noticed that SVK does not seem to transcode path names as SVN would do!!

If I mirror a SVN repo using "svk mirror ..." I seem to get a more or less
exact local copy of the original SVN repo, since I could indeed find UTF-8
encoded strings in files in the ~/.svk/local/db/revs directory!

But when I try to checkout with "svk co ..." pathnames with umlauts (in my
case) would NOT be transcoded to the proper codepage which my windows XP
clients actually should use.

I have to underline that SVN bundled with TortoiseSVN IS ABLE TO TRANSCODE
these paths correctly!

Any chance that this will be changed in the future to be in line with SVN?

But perhaps I just did not find the switch in SVK where I could get it to
work in the same way like SVN...

Regards,
Marko