[svk-users] [svk-devel] The Future of SVK

Alexander Dahl post at lespocky.de
Wed Jun 3 05:00:23 EDT 2009

Hi,

> Although it was mostly the superior merge that won me over from svn,
> if svn merge is getting better maybe it's time to move back to svn.

It is getting better, but I doubt if it will reach the power of the
merge tools of the well known distributed version control systems. In my
opinion the subversion guys will have to trade the centralized approach
off against more and more distributed features. Some aspects of the
centralized approach, which are often considered limitating are
advantages in certain kinds of projects organizations.

> I'd be interested in hearing how other people deal with the change :)

I will switch to mercurial for my personal stuff. There's a promising
extension called 'hgsubversion' to make mercurial play with subversion
repos in a similar way svk does (pull and push with remote repos). The
command syntax of mercurial is not far away from svn/svk where git has
the same concept but completly other commands.

Greets
Alex