[rt-devel] Rt and Oracle

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 12 13:05:17 EDT 2000

On Wednesday, April 12, 2000 10:06 AM -0600, "Aryeh \"Cody\" Sherr"
<asherr at cs.unm.edu> wrote:
+-----
| Oracle supports auto increment with triggers. It also has support for
| character and large objects both, at least in 8 and 8i. I don't know about
| 7.
+--->8

Oracle6 had large text and binary objects; but there was a significant
space penalty to their use, and IIRC they worked best if you only ever did
inserts and selects --- no updates, *no* deletes (the space used would be
"lost" IIRC).  I don't know when, if ever, this was changed to something
sane.

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]    allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]          allbery at ece.cmu.edu