[rt-devel] Re: Translation

Tobias Brox tobiasb at tobiasb.funcom.com
Wed May 24 12:21:27 EDT 2000

> Tobias,

Please take this to rt-devel, not to me personally.  Jesse is even more
interessted than me to get the localizations out.  I hope you don't mind
that I quote this to the devel list.

> I started reading the documentation for the
> package gettext which can help automating
> this task. It generates a pot file which
> facilitates considerably the internationalization
> of software.

There is a lot of problems with gettext; it looks great until someone
actually tries to use it.  One will bang the head towards the
wall quite quickly because of grammatical problems, etc.  Jesse has some
other links to another perl package for dealing with this in an object
oriented matter, I haven't looked too much at it, but it looks very nice I
think.

I think it would be great if you could coordinate the localization work.
Jesse and me is just too busy getting a usable 2.0.

This work needs to be done towards the development version of RT, not
version 1.0 which is the last official release.  The current development
versions seems to work, but there is a lot of pieces missing before it can
be widely used.