[rt-devel] initdb-bug

M. Olsthoorn olsthrn at wins.uva.nl
Mon Feb 26 09:00:06 EST 2001

I have a problem while trying to install rt2 (1.3.46). I'm using mysql 2.22. First I got this message:

***
Creating database schema.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Column 'Name' is used with UNIQUE or INDEX but is not defined as NOT NULL at tools/initdb line 71, <STDIN> chunk 2.
Problem with statement:
 CREATE TABLE Groups (
  id INTEGER NOT NULL  AUTO_INCREMENT,
  Name varchar(16) NULL  ,
  Description varchar(64) NULL  ,
  Pseudo integer NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 ,
  PRIMARY KEY (id),
  UNIQUE (Name)
 )

Column 'Name' is used with UNIQUE or INDEX but is not defined as NOT NULL at tools/initdb line 73, <STDIN> chunk 2.
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect, <STDIN> chunk 2.
make: *** [database] Error 255
***

Then I fixed this by editing etc/Schema.pm (by putting NOT before the various NULLs (only the ones that are unique)). When I tried to install it again I got the following error:

***
Creating database schema.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Specified key was too long. Max key length is 256 at tools/initdb line 71, <STDIN> chunk 2.
Problem with statement:
 CREATE TABLE Links (
  id INTEGER NOT NULL  AUTO_INCREMENT,
  Base varchar(240) NOT NULL  ,
  Target varchar(240) NOT NULL  ,
  Type varchar(20) NOT NULL  ,
  LocalTarget integer NULL  ,
  LocalBase integer NULL  ,
  LastUpdatedBy integer NULL  ,
  LastUpdated DATETIME NULL  ,
  Creator integer NULL  ,
  Created DATETIME NULL  ,
  PRIMARY KEY (id),
  UNIQUE (Base, Target, Type)
)

Specified key was too long. Max key length is 256 at tools/initdb line 73, <STDIN> chunk 2.
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect, <STDIN> chunk 2.
make: *** [database] Error 255
***

I'm not sure what this error means, or how to fix it.

Regards,
Marius Olsthoorn