[rt-devel] Handle.pm too many clients

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Wed Mar 21 02:58:34 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 07:57:08AM +0000, Feargal Reilly wrote:

> The server is also running a public info site, which generates most of the traffic, plus a few other sites such as a mirror or two, and some stats info. These could realistically use 100 Clients at a time. But only 5-10 would ever need a postgres connection.

Ah. then what you probably want is the mod_perl proxy trick.  Basically,
you don't want RT bloating your front-end web server.  Instead, use
mod proxypass to hand off anything destined for /rt/ to an apache
process tuned for RT running on a high port bound to the local interface.

This is actually what I do for fsck.com/rt2/

In my main httpd.conf, I have this:

ProxyPass /rt2/ http://localhost:9876/rt2/

Then I have a seperate apache process running on port 9876 on localhost.
It works like a charm.

> Hmm. Can you just check for me, and tell me how many postgres processes are running on your server?
> I really don't want 240 idle processes sitting around saving overheads.

I run mysql here, actually.

jesse reed vincent -- root at eruditorum.org -- jesse at fsck.com

After all, it's not every day you meet up with an evil power
                                               -M. Bulgakov