[rt-devel] three patches and comments...

Alex Krohn alex at gossamer-threads.com
Tue May 8 21:33:19 EDT 2001

Hi,

> > Oh, one other problem we ran into during setup. Our version of
> > perl/linux would not allow non-root users to run setuid perl scripts. So
> > if you were not root, then you could not run rt-mailgate. The old
> > Request Tracker with the C file worked fine as setuid.
>
> What distribution? Most distributions bundle setgid perl as a seperate
> package. And no the C wrapper really wasn't fine.  It caused more problems
> than any other section of code.

Hmm, do I need to set path to a special perl? Out of the box on two
systems I get:

[alex at alex alex]$ ./test.pl
Can't do setuid
[alex at alex alex]$ ls -l | grep test.pl
-rwxr-sr-x    1 rt       rt             41 May  8 18:27 test.pl*
[alex at alex alex]$ uname -a
Linux 2.2.14-15mdksmp #1 SMP Tue Jan 4 21:36:33 CET 2000 i686 unknown
[alex at alex alex]$ perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-linux

It's based off of Mandrake 7.2. I'm not that familiar with setuid I'm
afraid.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Krohn                        Email: alex at gossamer-threads.com
Internet Consultant               Phone: (604) 687-5804
http://www.gossamer-threads.com   Fax  : (604) 687-5806