[rt-devel] Can't do setuid

Alex Krohn alex at gossamer-threads.com
Tue May 8 22:22:51 EDT 2001

Hi,

>  > [alex at alex alex]$ ./test.pl
>  > Can't do setuid
>
> I ran into the same problem with a FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE install.  It turned
> out that for some reason sperl (the suid root perl) wasn't suid.  :-)
> After I fixed that, it worked fine.  Dunno if this is a bug or a feature.

Thanks! Figured it out. For anyone else who hits this:

When you run a setuid perl script, perl will rerun the script using
sperl. Seems by default Mandrake installations ship sperl with no
permissions. Just look for sperl5.xxxx and make sure the permissions on
it are set properly and are suid.

Seems to be the default for a number of systems, might be worth
mentioning in the readme.

Cheers,

Alex