[rt-devel] My new best friend

Mark Vevers mark at ifl.net
Tue May 15 04:09:39 EDT 2001

Jesse / Ivan,

Jesse wrote:

> I believe that the horrible horrible memory I saw leaking was in fact due
> to some upsetting interactions between Apache::Session and
> DBIx::SearchBuilder::Record::Cachable.
>
> While I was poking around, I also finally got the full picture of just
> how upsettingly heavy Date::Manip is.. By itself, it was eating almost
> as much memory as all of RT.    I've moved RT over to Date::Parse from
> Graham Barr. It's much smaller (236,606 bytes compared to 1,610,254 bytes)
> It doesn't have as many bells and whistles, but it's less likely to take you
> on a tour of your server's swap partition.

This explains a lot.  Especially the 'slowing down' - it was swapped out but
that wasn't entirely down to RT.   One of my esteemed colleages had whipped
384M of my 512M from the server.  (Sounds of beating and kicking followed
by howls of agony). It's back now!  As the memory leak progressed, it
started shoveling things into swap and making things slow down considerably.

This still doesn't explain the segv's though as it shouldn't do that,
swap or
no swap.  I still suspect a race condition due to delays introduced by
swapping,
but it's going to be a lot harder to prove now unless I knobble the memory
again which I'm obviously not keen to do!

> In the 72 hours, The Beta 3 bug list has dropped from 28 issues to 13 issues.
> We're starting to get there.

Linear or exponential decay?  Well done!

Mark

Mark Vevers.    mark at ifl.net / mvevers at rm.com
Internet Backbone Engineering Team
Internet for Learning, Research Machines Plc
Tel: +44 1235 823380,   Fax: +44 1235 823424