[rt-devel] The road to 3.0

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Aug 27 01:56:15 EDT 2002

Hi Folks,

	We've begun the push to get RT 3.0 out the door this fall. (RT
2.1 is the development series for 3.0) This release doesn't exactly match
the roadmap I'd had for the next major release. It doesn't have a few
features I'd hoped to shoehorn in, however, it's head and shoulders
better than I could have possibly imagined.  Thanks to Autrijus Tang
and his team at OurInternet, RT 3.0's interface is fully
internationalized and now speaks seven languages, with more on the way.
The access control, groups and watchers systems got completely
overhauled. The web UI has been spiffed up We've got an excellent
new remote CLI that's being developed. An oracle port is on its way.
And there are a bunch of other amazing new things I'm forgetting at the
moment.

	Below, you can find my internal plan for what it's going to
take to get to 3.0. Note that the day markers are in estimated ideal
days and that this isn't the only project in progress right now. (So
don't just total up those days to figure out a release date ;)

	Best,
	Jesse

 Installation/Packaging 4 days
        Install
                2d/Gut the install procedure
        Packaging
                1d/Debian packaging
                1d/RPM packaging

 Upgrade 2 days

        2d/Importer

 Setup 4 days
        Configuration wizard
                2d/Wizard core
                2d/Wizard types for various use cases
                        IT
                        Customer Service
                        Helpdesk
                        Projects
                        Network Operations
                        Abuse
                        Lead tracking

 Core 2 days + unknown

        Misc
                0.5d/Yank/deprecate/hide the approvals stuff

                1d/Merge 2.0.x changes

                ??/Bug fixes

        I18N
                .5d/Warnings
                ??/Marshal the current Translations
                ??/Obtain new translations

 Database 3 days
        1d/Integrate Oracle Port
        2d/Postgres 7.2 port

 Mail sending 1.5 days
        .5d Header fixes / Preserve x-loop lines on autoreply
        .5d /  Notify with attachment
        .5d / Preserve charset in attachments?
              (Send original content as an attachment, if it's not text-plain?)

 Mail gateway  3 days

        0.5d/Spamassassin hooks
        0.5d/Custom processing hooks
        2d/ charset conversion issues?

 CLI 2.5 days
        1d/Port to perl?

        .5d/Search tool
        .5d/Update tool
        .5d/Documentation

 Web UI 6 days + unknown

        1d/Branding and logo
        1d/Clean up the navigation
        1d/Clean up the search UI
        1d/Clean up ticket display
        ??/Make it prettier
        1d/Add at least a couple new forms and reports
                What I did this week
                Daily report
         1d/Integrate heads up

 Web Services 2.5 days + unknown for XML web serivces
        RFC822 web services (all part of new CLI)
                .5d/Docs
                .5d/Ticket create
                .5d/Ticket attribute modify
                1d/Search / Return search as mbox
        XML Web Services
                RSS Feeds for ticket
                XML ticket download
                XML ticket creation
                XML ticketu update
                XML search results

 API 3.5 days
        Docs?
        What API simplifications can we make
        3d/Clean up Tickets.pm
        .5d/Do we get "Ticket->Update()

 Testing 4.5 days
        1d/Search testing
        0.5d/Better test coverage for ticket updates
        0.5d/UTF8 test coverage
        0.5d/MIME test coverage

        WebUI testing
                1d/Framework