[rt-devel] RT 2.0 and Postgres 7.3

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Dec 28 12:24:09 EST 2002

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:56:48PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> writes:
>
> > At this time, RT 2.0.x is _not compatible_ with Postgres 7.3.
> >
> > Postgres' developers have made several incompatible SQL sand server
> > changes, requiring a number of changes to RT's core.
>
> We are already migrating our databases to PostgreSQL 7.3.  Can you
> estimate how much work the required changes would be, and indicate
> which areas of RT are affected?

There are a couple of things:

	Any create or update tha can pass '' instead of '0' to the
	database needs to be changed, as postgres has decided to start
	sticking to the ANSI standard, which prohibits atoi from
	converting '' to '0', as postgres < 7.3 does and as mysql does.
	It is possible to patch your postgres sources to change this
	behaviour, if you want. I don't expect to audit RT2's code to
	make this happen, but would take a contributed change. RT3
	should be better behaved, but I need testers.

	DBIx::SearchBuilder needs to be updated to use postgres' new
	LIMIT behaviour.  I've started the work on this, but it's not a
	super-high priority.

»|« http://www.bestpractical.com/rt  -- Trouble Ticketing. Free.