[rt-devel] RT 2.0.14-pre1

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Mon Jul 1 14:15:30 EDT 2002

>> Actually, the limit is 100 characters, for transactions.data.  Older
>> PostgreSQL versions silently truncated overlong values for VARCHAR
>> columns, but newer ones (since 7.2 or so) don't.

JV> Urk. they changed that behavior?

Yes.  This is a change from 7.1 to 7.2.  Technically, it is more SQL
standards compliant to reject the query than to silently alter it to
make the result fit into the allotted space.

JV> Hm. are there no other tradeoffs, or are texts now just superlong varchars?

I think text == varchar(2^24-1) or something about like that.  My
feeling is that varchar() of a given size is mainly for documenting
your structure and expected use.  The data storage is not that
different.  Perhaps you save a byte or two by having smaller length
counters for shorter varchars, but I don't know.